Charlie has represented banks and other financial institutions for more than 30 years, and as a lender’s lawyer, he has closed commercial mortgage loans of almost every description. These include loans in Wisconsin for corporate parks, residential condominiums, shopping centers and multi-family apartment projects. Additionally, a substantial portion of Charlie’s practice has been devoted to construction loans for projects outside of Wisconsin, ranging from Florida to California.
He practiced as a bank lawyer in Chicago for eight years prior to moving to Wisconsin in 1988 and continues to be licensed as a lawyer in Illinois as well as in Wisconsin.
- A $12 million construction loan for an office building in Phoenix, Arizona, and the subsequent negotiation and execution of a deed in lieu of foreclosure agreement.
- A $60 million construction loan for a condominium project in Minnesota, which subsequently went through a work out.
- A $45 million term loan secured by student apartments in Illinois.
- A $40 million term loan secured by office buildings in a Milwaukee corporate park.
- A $21 million loan for the conversion of a warehouse building into an office building that serves as the headquarters for one of Milwaukee’s largest hospitals.
- Four construction loans of approximately $20 million each for the construction of residential condominiums in downtown Milwaukee.
- An $18 million construction loan for an office building within air rights in downtown Milwaukee.
- A $12 million construction loan for a hotel in Racine, Wisconsin.
- A $43 million construction loan for the building of a state law library in Madison.
- A $39 million loan for the construction and renovation of the former Federal Reserve Building in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- An $18 million construction loan for a condominium project in Milwaukee’s western suburbs.
- A $45 million term loan secured by shopping centers in Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.
- An $18 million construction loan for a low-income housing tax credit project in Madison.
- Numerous construction loans of between $10 million and $50 million for the building of retail shopping centers, office condominiums and/or apartments in Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Texas, California, Oregon, Washington, Missouri, Arkansas, Kentucky, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida and Arizona, with anchor tenants of such retail projects including Wal-Mart, Kohl’s Department Stores, Kmart, Lowes and Sears.
- The closing of more than 60 term loans sold to the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation secured by multi-family apartment projects.
Charlie is the author of a brochure designed to provide information to lenders making mortgage loans in Wisconsin, An Overview of Legal Issues Encountered in Making Commercial Mortgage Loans in Wisconsin.