Christopher is a partner in DeWitt’s Madison office. He focuses his practice in areas such as divorce, legal separation, child custody, child support, paternity, adoptions, guardianships, probate, marital property agreements, estate planning and more. In addition, Christopher is well versed on Wisconsin law as it relates to same-sex couples and is an advocate for the LGBT community. He is frequently appointed by the court to serve as a guardian ad litem in child custody and placement disputes. He has extensive experience as a legal mediator for divorce and LGBT partnership dissolutions.
In addition, he is an adjunct professor at Marquette Law School and also a frequent contributor to the State Bar of Wisconsin’s Wisconsin Lawyer and Inside Track. Christopher is the author of Sexual Orientation and the Law in Wisconsin.
Speeches and Presentations
Over 100 presentations to a variety of audiences including lawyers, physicians, social workers, teachers, students, community based organizations, government agencies and the general public. Topics included estate planning, civil rights, bankruptcy, HIV law, health law, the legal profession and general question and answers seminars.
- Divorce Law: Handling Relocation Issues, National Business Institute National Teleconference, July 5, 2016
- “Divorce” for Unmarried Partners, State Bar of Wisconsin Webcast, May, 2016
- Grandparent Visitation Rights, State Bar of Wisconsin Webcast, May, 2016
- Case Law Update: Family Law, State Bar of Wisconsin Webcast, May, 2016
- Same-Sex Marriage: A Family Law Analysis, Collaborative Family Law Council of Wisconsin Webcast, April 13, 2016
- Wisconsin Child Support & Enforcement Conference, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, October 23, 2015
- Divorce 101: The Basics, Morgan Stanley, Inc., Middleton, Wisconsin, October 13, 2015
- Same-Sex Parenting Rights, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts, Appleton, Wisconsin, October 2, 2015
- Same-Sex Marriage in the United States, Paralegal Alliance Association, National Webcast, September 24, 2015
- "New Social Security Law Regarding “File and Suspend” Will Not Adversely Impact Right of Divorced Spouses," Family Law Blog, March 2016
- Sexual Orientation and the Law in Wisconsin, lead author, Pinnacle Publications, the state’s first CLE book for lawyers representing gay, lesbian, and transgender individuals in Wisconsin (October, 2014)
- Same-Sex Marriage after Obergerfell, Wisconsin Journal of Family Law, State Bar of Wisconsin, Family Law Section, Vol. 34 No. 3, October, 2015
- “De Facto Marriage”: Cohabitation Claims in Wisconsin, Inside Track, State Bar of Wisconsin, Vol. 7 No. 18, September, 2015
- The Wolf v. Walker Decision, Wisconsin State Bar Association Website, June, 2013
- I Blame The Good Wife for My Disappointed Clients, Wisconsin Lawyer, June, 2013
- Same-Sex Marriage in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Lawyer, December, 2013
- Maximizing Marriage Rights in Wisconsin, Our Lives magazine, November/December, 2013
- Breaking Up Is Hard to Do: Gay and Lesbian Divorce, Our Lives magazine, May/June, 2013
- The Gay Divorcee: When Same-Sex Marriages End, Wisconsin Lawyer, July 2012
- Domestic Partnership Benefits Challenged in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Lawyer (2009)
- Representing Gay and Lesbian Clients, Wisconsin Family Law Journal (Summer 2009/Vol. 29, No. 3)
- Business Owners in Divorce, Wisconsin Lawyer (June, 2008)
- Owners of Closely-Held Businesses in Divorce, The Business Journal (November, 2007)
- HIV Confidentiality, Wisconsin Lawyer (2003)
Featured: Our Lives Magazine (profile of my work with Marquette Law School, October, 2009); Wisconsin Law Journal (discussing mediation/arbitration for same-sex couple dissolutions, 2011); Brava Magazine (discussing financial mistakes women make in divorce, 2012), Inside Track by State Bar of Wisconsin (discussing U.S. Supreme Court decision on same-sex marriage), and Wisconsin Law Journal (discussing domestic partnership benefits, November, 2013).