Dennis is an accomplished attorney with more than 20 years of complex regulatory and litigation experience in areas that include environmental, energy, insurance and business law. He is a seasoned litigator with a track record of success in state and federal trial and appellate courts and before administrative agencies.
He also counsels clients on regulatory compliance, permitting and remediation issues as well as environmental due diligence in corporate, real estate, and lending transactions. Dennis regularly works with clients buying and selling real estate and manufacturing/industrial facilities to investigate and address environmental risks.
A repeated recipient of Wisconsin Best Lawyers® and Super Lawyers® awards, he is also an active community leader, having served as President of two high-profile Madison community organizations. Dennis currently serves as Chair of the firm's Environmental Practice Group.
- Successfully represented a client in a lawsuit against multiple insurers who denied coverage for an environmental claim involving hundreds of millions of dollars. A jury verdict in favor of the client was affirmed on appeal.
- Currently representing the same client in federal court litigation over PCB contamination at one of the country’s largest environmental site remediation projects. Secured a court ruling holding that the client is not liable for site cleanup costs under the federal Superfund law.
- Successfully represented an energy company in proceedings before the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin to secure permits and approvals necessary for the construction of an electric generating facility.
- Represented a group of electric cooperatives named as potentially-responsible parties (PRPs) at an abandoned metal reclaiming site contaminated with PCBs. Served as lead counsel for the PRP group and successfully negotiated an innovative voluntary cost-sharing agreement that spread cleanup costs among numerous parties.
- Represented a major telecommunications firm in various regulatory proceedings before the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin and in federal and state courts.
- Served as environmental counsel for clients selling complex industrial facilities, including a petroleum refinery and a manufacturer of metal and plastic nameplates with facilities at multiple sites. Managed the due diligence investigations and complicated permit transfer issues.
- Defended two companies in state and federal court lawsuits seeking to recover landfill remediation costs. Secured judgments in both actions dismissing all claims against one of the clients. Negotiated a settlement of the claims against the other client and then successfully represented that client in recovering most of the cost of the settlement from its insurers.
- Represented the owner of a former manufactured gas site which was undergoing extensive environmental remediation.