Mai Lee focuses her practice on assisting with health care compliance and transaction matters. She advises on complex and overlapping federal and state laws, regulations, and sub-regulatory guidance. Mai Lee assists with not only providing legal advice, but supporting her clients through to implementation. Mai Lee has worked with insurance companies, providers, and durable medical equipment manufacturers on responding to issues as well as proactively structuring and monitoring their business practices.
Mai Lee advises health care entities from both a legal and compliance perspective on a variety of issues, including corporate governance, compliance program effectiveness, and regulatory matters.
Although health care compliance is highly technical, Mai Lee strives to make the legal issues surrounding compliance make sense for her clients
- Routinely provide legal counsel to health care entities on federal/state laws and regulations.
- Serve as Consultant advising regional health plan on compliance and regulatory matters.
- Successfully managed implementation of a Corporate Integrity Agreement, including preparation and submission of implementation report within 120 days to the Office of Inspector General of Health and Human Services; continued ongoing management of CIA obligations and reporting.
- Serve as Consultant for health care service provider advising on daily compliance matters, compliance committee reporting, and compliance officer support.
- Prepared Medicare Advantage sponsor for Part C and Part D Program Audits by conducting mock audits and served as compliance consultant during audit by Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
- Selected to perform independent evaluation of compliance program effectiveness.
- Researched and interpreted all 50-state legislation and regulations for impact on third party administration and market conduct; assisted with licensure and product filing requirements.
- Assisted Durable Medical Equipment (DME) company with review, renewal, and drafting of vendor contracts and supply bids.
- Advised nonprofit organization by drafting and revising governance and employment policies; also researched and reviewed need for development of new policies.
Articles & Presentations
- "Advocating for an Annual Compliance Program Review," Compliance Today Magazine, Health Care Compliance Association, January 2017
- "Health Care Compliance for Start-Up Companies" TreeHouse Health, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 2016
- "Mandates Council: How to Implement an Enterprise-wide Governance and Reporting Structure to Ensure Compliance with Federal and State Laws," BlueCross BlueShield 2015 National Summit, Phoenix, Arizona, April 2015
Awards & Recognitions
- BestPrep Service Award
- Dean's List, All Semesters
- CALI Award - Governance & Ethics in Health Care Compliance
- Judicial Law Clerk, Intern, Winona County District Court
- Honorable Mention - Best Oralist 1L
- Justice Thurgood Marshall Scholarship