Matthew is an attorney in DeWitt's Metro Milwaukee office and a member of the firm’s Litigation and Business practice groups. His practice includes the litigation of an array of matters, including complex commercial litigation, contract actions, construction disputes, and real property disputes. In addition, Matthew has negotiated numerous transactions, from commercial leases to corporate acquisitions and mergers. He is dedicated to efficiently providing his clients with exceptional legal services and takes special care to explain complex legal issues in a straightforward manner.
- Assisted in representing a construction company against design and construction defect claims totaling $650,000. Successfully obtained summary judgment in client’s favor, avoiding not only potential liability, but the expense of trial.
- Has worked with business clients in developing policies in compliance with a range of federal laws and regulations, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations.
- In collaboration with team of attorneys, negotiated client’s acquisition of a competing business—a deal worth approximately $1.4 million—and drafted contracts to carry out the transaction.
- Assisted in sale of client’s software firm to larger competitor for approximately $1.825 million, drafting agreements to execute the transaction.
- On appeal, successfully obtained reversal of trail court’s Order dismissing municipal client from action involving dispute over bequest. Pauline Haass Public Library Bd. v. Town of Lisbon, 2016 WI App 26, 367 Wis. 2d 749, 877 N.W.2d 651 (unpublished).
- Author (with Shawn M. Govern) of Chapter Five, “Buying and Selling a Small Business” in Securities, Mergers, and Acquisitions in Wisconsin (State Bar of Wisconsin, 2015–16)
- Author (with Jordan Rohlfing) of “Constitutional Law” in Annual Survey of Wisconsin Law (State Bar of Wisconsin, 2016)