Sarah is a member of the Litigation practice group in DeWitt’s Minneapolis office. She focuses her practice in general civil litigation, with an emphasis in construction law and personal injury defense. She takes pride in working with clients to provide legal services with responsiveness and cost-efficiency. A strategic thinker by nature, Sarah is well-versed in high-level motion practice, as well as being a go-to attorney for discovery planning and trial preparation.
Sarah regularly represents general contractors, engineers, subcontractors, and homebuilders on cases related to residential and commercial buildings, associations, and data centers. For construction industry clients, Sarah is adept at working with clients and expert witnesses to determine true damages and contractual delineation of duties to aid in settlement positioning.
In her general litigation practice, Sarah has defended individual and corporate clients on a national counsel and local counsel basis in a variety of matters ranging from wrongful death to dram shop to products liability/warranty in courts across the country. Her experience as national counsel for several restaurant and retail chains gives her a unique perspective on issues facing those industries.
Sarah has additional experience in the area of creditor’s rights and remedies, leveraging her background in debt collection to defend creditors in FDCPA claims. She also handles workers' compensation, workers' compensation subrogation, and general insurance subrogation for select clients.
- Cost-effective early settlement of payment bond claims on behalf of principal and surety sued on large public works project.
- Successfully opposed motion to compel, opposed motion for default judgment, and vacated administrative default leading to favorable settlement for seller of used machine in wrongful death/product liability matter. Britta Puppe et al. vs. Mid-Michigan Machinery Sales, Inc., Case No. 0:10-cv-03888-MJD-JJK (U.S. Dist. Minn.).
- Drafted successful summary judgment motion that dismissed plaintiff's claims that exposure to diesel exhaust caused lung cancer based on argument that plaintiff had lack of sufficient expert opinion. Brent Lee vs. Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway Company, Court File No. 69DU-CV-09-2774 (Ramsey Co., Minn.).
- After serving motion to disqualify opposing counsel in subrogation matter, when the same counsel had used client as an expert in the underlying matter, opposing counsel voluntarily withdrew leading to favorable settlement for engineering client. Owners Insurance Company v. Delta 3 Engineering, Inc., et al., Case No. 13-CV-010 (Grant Co., Wis.).
- Contract drafting and review of agreements for construction clients.
- Secured hundreds of judgments in favor of creditor clients in consumer debt matters, both original creditors and debt buyers, including over 400 conciliation court appearances and extensive summary judgment motion practice in courts across Minnesota.
Sarah takes pro bono service seriously, as has been certified as a North Star Lawyer, a program recognizing attorneys who provide essential volunteer legal services by meeting or exceeding 50 hours of pro bono service per year.
Sarah regularly volunteers with the Minnesota Assistance Counsel for Veterans VETLAW program, providing pro bono legal clinics to advise veterans on a variety of issues, including personal injury claims, general civil litigation, criminal expungement, and estate planning.
Sarah is the Minneapolis office firm captain for the Fund for Legal Aid's Associate Campaign, which aims to bring awareness and funding to Minnesota Legal Aid programs.
Sarah has also handled matters for private clients on a pro bono basis, including pursuing property damage matters on behalf of veterans, and defending a sub-leasee in a fire damage case through summary judgment and appeal.
Articles and Presentations
- "Builders' Rights Under Minnesota's Right to Repair Statute." Attorney at Law Magazine - Twin Cities Edition, March 2015. A look at the obligations - and limitations - under Minnesota's Right to Repair law, including advice for builders for investigation and handling of warranty claims under Minnesota Statute Chapter 327A.
- "Meet HCBA Member... Sarah Roeder." Hennepin County Bar Association, October 3, 2016. Interview with Nick Hansen of the HCBA regarding the importance of networking and community involvement in building practical skills and confidence for new lawyers.